Saturday, May 2, 2009

the city

When I was in my 20s, I live in San Francisco. I came from a mid size town and thought the city would be a better place for an artist to live. More things going on. As if a lot of people around me doing things would make me do a lot of things. Interesting things great things.
But , I found that the biggest creative things I have done we done in silence. If I cannot hear the quiet mutterings of my soul then I cannot paint them.  The noise of the city shouted out the beat of everyones  drum. The collective drum beat is thrilling but you cannot process it till you get into silence and hear your own. 
I wonder if I had moved to the country if I would have been a different artist.

2 comments:

Phil Lewis said...

I grew up in Dallas, and my best memories are from our trips out of town, when we drove for visits to the small towns where my relatives lived. In my early twenties, I spent a lot of time in the country, and by far my times of clearest thought and deepest pondering occurred under a star-filled sky in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me started. And that's where I met the incomparable Kathy. :)

Unknown said...

Yes, you would, but you wouldn't be the one you are, the one you are so glad to be, the one discovering and enjoying and celebrating today.