Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday morning plan

I am going to make a nice notebook of my paintings to show galleries in Paris. I had a friend that did this and it is a much less invasive way to meet new gallery owners. The gallery has to see who you are and feel you out before they need to see if your work is good for them. It is an intense relationship. You are totally trusting that they will promote your work and give you a check when it sells. Sometimes galleries are out of business and you never get your work back. So you both have to investigate each other.
Referrals are good for both artist and gallery owner. Having been on both sides of the fence, I know how important it is to have your artists get new work to you on a timely basis and cooperate when necessary(ie price) It is a symbiotic relationship.
Trying to get representation in a foreign country is even more dicey but the pay off is great. I am grateful now for the time when I was a gallery owner myself and an art broker. I loved it when the artists were cooperative and had good personalities incase they had to interface with the clients. I had one experience with a great artist but his personality was so abrasive it didn't matter how fantastic his work was.

2 comments:

LeFebvre Momma said...

I know that you can do it. I will be praying while you are in France! Everyone who sees the painting in my room that you did, loves it! I know that the French will love your work as we here do.

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you~