Monday, November 30, 2009

1974

There are lots of ways to find artists work, You can look in the usual places Galleries ,studio tours, artist banks, and referral.
I think the most fun way is to happen upon work in unusual places. Sometimes artists have shows in unusual places like restaurants coffee and tea houses even hardware stores.
Artist that are just starting out are unfettered with the knowledge of what will sell and what will not.
I remember I once had a show in San Francisco at a coffee shop. They let me put these 4 by 8 foot pieces of masonite on the walls that I had put charcoal drawings on. I hardly had money to eat must less buy canvas and I think I salvaged the masonite from a dumpster.
NO matter I was an artist and I had to work so that is what I did. I put varnish on the whole thing to keep the charcoal from coming off.
And I think I put the grand price of 50 bucks on the works. Did I sell them?? Yes I did. When I did that I bought some canvas and started making big paintings.
I wonder if those charcoal drawings still exist.
It doesn't matter really, what does matter is they were the step that led to the next step.
The moral of this story is "Don't despise small beginnings"

No comments: