Monday, February 2, 2009

The importance of your space

In the creativity group we are going to examine the importance of you space for being able to create. 
My husband built me a 10 by 20 foot studio with nice high ceilings. It had lots of windows and a good cement floor with a drain for painting( I use huge amounts of water when I paint and sometimes need to actually hose paintings off so a drain was what I needed. 
With this custom studio all done I tried to paint there. What I found out was(to my dismay) that I could not think in that space. I felt as though I was cramped and could not breathe much less paint. 
It turned out  the space was too narrow and the ceilings not high enough and there were too many windows. Too much light. The floor bugged me too as it sloped for the drain. 
Now I rent a space that is perfect. The ceiling height is 20 feet and I have a nice big wall. I can work there for 10 hours without stopping and feel fine.  It has the added plus of other people who come in and visit which I find energizing. 
I feel bad about the other studio we paid so much money for but what learned is that you have to have elbow room to work with your mind. 

No comments: