Monday, May 24, 2010

The Waterfall

Everybody has moments in their lives when something happens and it changes the course of their lives.
When I was fourteen, I went with my best friend to Ellensburg where there was a river all the college kids were inner tubing . They would be going down the river and then they would have to scramble to get back to land before the river went over a waterfall.
My friend jumped right in and did it without even thinking. She had a great time then it was my turn.
I was so afraid to falling over the waterfall that I could not even get into the water. I just sat there like a lump on the side watching everyone else.
I look back on that time now and see how that very day affected me. I starting thinking of myself as a fearful person. It took me years and years to overcome all kinds of fears. I developed this view of myself that I thought was just reality. My friend went on to be an incredibly courageous person and do all kinds of things . One event like the river can make or break your view of yourself.
Reliving the events that you made the story of what you are, is necessary to erase them. The stories we tell ourselves about ourselves are not always true.
WHAT HAPPENED IN A SPLIT SECOND A LONG TIME AGO, DOES NOT HAVE TO DEFINE YOUR WHOLE LIFE NOW.

1 comment:

LeFebvre Momma said...

Isn't that just the most amazing thing?? Tomorrow is another day, all fresh with no mistakes!