Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Demanding the best

People don't demand the best anymore for anything. The bar is low for most People. Not demanding the best makes us comfortable with our own state of affairs. We like it when we are thrown into a group of people that aren't that bad. We hate it when we are out of our league, It makes us feel guilty about our own life so it is way way easier to hang out with the milieu. This is one small example of that.
I found that for my self not setting the table pretty when we eat dinner is way easier that putting some effort into it.
Since we have been blessed with guests staying with us of course I try harder than normal. The bad thing is I realize that my poor husband had to have sloppy dinners before they came.
I lowered by standards.
I am just now seeing all the ramifications of just not setting a pretty table before.
We did not spend a lot of time talking at dinner. Eat and go was the norm.
We started to live in our own worlds because of that and it actually was starting to make each other less important.
We had our work to think about.
Our priorities got out of order.
Eating became mechanical and I did not enjoy making the food. I would just throw something together.
Now we have the girls and they remind us to be a family and we enjoy our precious time together. I love to plan meals and eat with them. We talk about the food and each others day.
It is a very different experience.

No comments: