Thursday, September 17, 2009

speed painting

A friend of mine said I was a speed painter. It seems to her that I just whip those paintings out easy as that.
It might appear effortless, but in reality it is an intense struggle. I draw lines over hundreds of times to fine on that feels right. The look on a face can go from angry to beautiful in a fraction of a line change. When I find the perfect line it is also hard to keep it because of my technique, which involves washing away underpaintings. Many times I have found a gorgeous line , only to lose it a moment later with the wash out. I never can get the exact same line back either. Even if I trace it. It is emotionally exhausting to look for hours for a perfect shape of a lip or eye lid. So glorious the is the human face and body that it is tremendously interesting and at the very same time tremendously elusive.
I paint 6 to eight hours a day and when I am not painting I am looking at material to use to paint later. I never stop working.
No artist does if they are professional. You can not stop, nor do you want to and it is the very best life any human being can ever ever have.

No comments: