Saturday, July 31, 2010

Contests

People enter contests to measure how they stack up against other people in their field.
I have entered a lot of contests in the past and I have judged a lot of contests. Since there are no absolutes in art now days the the reality is down to two things.
Either you have a taste for a certain kind of work or you know for a fact that a lot of people have a taste for a certain kind of work. ?Then it is good work.

Work that is called EDGY is just work that is neither well known or liked.
They call it important new work so that it will sound like you should like it because you should be smart enough to get it. If you don't get it you are basically a backwards idiot and should not even be playing this game.
To illustrate this fact another story from San Francisco,
There was a well known gallery there called the Grapestake Gallery.
All the hip people went there and shows sold out.
They had a show consisting of cardboard boxes torn apart and hanging on the wall. Yup they weren't even painted on.
When I saw that, even at the tender age of 21 I knew the art world was all about and I knew I could get away with anything.

No comments: