Monday, July 26, 2010

Harry Truman

I just saw a documentary on Harry Truman. He was the epitome of tenacity. Every second in his life was overcoming some kind of obstacle.
84 days after being in office as Vice President, Roosevelt died, making him president. A job he felt he was not remotely qualified for. Yet he said "I have to do it anyway. " the decisions he made were overwhelmingly horrible to make. He made them , and let it go.
It really made me think about my own life.
What does backbone look like. Harry Truman. Courage under constant fire.
He was willing to be unpopular no matter what it cost him.
And it cost him plenty.
I was thinking about that too, How often do I made decisions to be liked.
That is such a cowardly way to live.
Way better to let the chips fall and then die having really lived with integrity than to appease others and not be honest.
I was glad to have seen this documentary, Having courage fleshed out is always a good thing to have in your brain.

No comments: