Thursday, July 29, 2010

Doll house

I got my granddaughter this dollhouse. She tried to get in the dollhouse. She backed up and tried to sit in the tiny chairs and eat the tiny ice cream cone.
I think we are attracted to small spaces because they are comforting.
I spend time looking at tiny house blogs. I am reevaluating space.
I think about how a hundred years ago, probably 6 people lived in the house I am in now. The closets are so small yet I am sure they were full of just enough clothes to live.
Now we have huge walk in closets and dressing rooms.
My hundred year old house was probably a pretty elegant house for its time. I can imagine very nice people lived here. With a big family.
I hope someday another good sized family lives here and fills up all the rooms with joy and laughter. This house wants 4 kids to live here. It wants a Mommy and a Daddy and a couple of dogs. This house wants to have lots of people over too to share life with.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Shari! It's so funny you write about the delight in tiny spaces... I have always been interested in them. My first show in college was called "Hidden Spaces" - tiny paintings of pockets. There is a great book on this idea, The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard - I quoted it in my introduction to my senior show -I think you might appreciate this. http://andreakristeen.blogspot.com/2008/05/shows-going-up.html

sharika roland said...

I am going to go out right now and read it. I think we think alike on a lot of issues Andrea

Andrea said...

Yes... I think we do too... beware, that book is really heavy... but the chapter on "miniature" is absolutely wonderful