Friday, July 16, 2010

Doing what you don't want to do

Nobody likes to get up early and work out. Nobody likes to watch their weight and work on getting it down. Nobody likes discipline.
I met Jack LaLaine once. I worked in a health food store in San Francisco and he came in. He ordered carrot juice and greens.
He was really old when he came in. He told me there was nothing he hated more than getting up and working out.
You would think he would be so used to it that it would be easy to get up at 5 am and work out for an hour.
But sadly he said it killed him every morning to make himself get out of bed.
His Television show made it look like he was enjoying himself.
Why did he tell me this when I was just getting him some juice??
Why not tell someone else.
Why even tell anyone.
I thought he must have sensed that I needed to hear that.
We always think it is easier for other people to do this or that.
Maybe it is public speaking. Or selling or being out going.
Did you know Steve Martin was shy and hated to go to parties. He had to make himself do all he did too.
People think I am outgoing. Well I am but at first I am uncomfortable like everyone else. I question whether anyone will think I am crazy or boring or worse invisible.
I have to make myself talk to people. I really do. If you knew me you would never guess that. But it is true. I hate parties because I don't know what to say to strangers.
but I have devised a trick that makes it a little easier. I have learned to listen very hard and when people see that I am totally listening to them they open up and then I get engrossed and they are not strangers anymore. That is my plan for over coming shyness.

No comments: